Greenville, North Carolina has many parks and recreation centers that make it easy to live an active lifestyle. You can spend time at these outdoor parks while playing sports, taking hikes, or enjoying beautiful scenery. There are many health benefits to getting outdoors, too. We’ve listed a few of them at the bottom of this post. If you’re interested in improving your mood, increasing your focus, or getting more exercise, check out these great parks in Greenville.
Parks in Greenville, NC
2000 Cedar Lane, Greenville, NC 27858
Jaycee Park in Greenville has recreational facilities for sports, picnicking, arts and crafts, and more. The park serves as a community center and provides students of nearby ECU a space to study or get active. The green spaces are great for a game of Frisbee or laying out on a blanket with a book. There is a children’s playground, a recreation center, and a center for arts and crafts. Sports facilities include tennis courts, softball courts, an inline hockey rink, and a BMX/skateboard park.
Elm Street Park
1055 S. Elm St., Greenville, NC 27858
Elm Street Park is a sports venue and outdoor park. There are baseball fields, lighted tennis courts, locker rooms, picnic shelters with grills, walking trails, playgrounds, lawn game areas, and a fully accessible baseball field for those with a disability. You can visit the park with friends or plan to attend one of the many sporting events hosted at the park. Keep up with their upcoming events on the Elm Street Park Facebook page. If you prefer to be in the game rather than on the sidelines, check out the opportunities to register for Greenville’s athletic programs. A day spent at Elm Street Park is a great way to get outdoors and be active in Greenville.
Stalling Stadium at Elm Street Park. Photo by Scooter7150 via Wiki Commons, CC BY-SA 4.0.
River Park North
1000 Mumford Road, Greenville, NC 27834
If you’re looking for an outdoor adventure in Greenville, visit River Park North. The park encompasses 324 acres of nature. Activities at the park include fishing, camping, boating, hiking, and other fun outdoor things to do. There’s an educational center on site called the Walter L. Stasavich Science & Nature Center. Inside the center, you’ll find several exhibits featuring wildlife dioramas, a freshwater aquarium, and interactive displays. The park and center host events for visitors of all ages, like fishing days and camp festivals. Check out the River Park North event calendar to find out what events are coming up!
Reasons to Get Outside and Get Active!
There are many benefits to spending time outdoors. Not only does spending time outside encourage a more active lifestyle, it also has the following benefits.
Benefits of Spending Time Outdoors
- Increasing the time you spend outside can lower your chances of disease. The sun provides vitamin D, which is essential for fighting infections, maintaining bone health, regulating insulin levels, and supporting lung function. So get outside and soak up some sun!
- Studies have shown that being in the presence of nature can improve your mood. The tranquil settings of green spaces or places near the water have positive effects on the brain, encouraging relaxation and feelings of peace.
- The quietness and slowed pace of an outdoor environment can help reduce your stress levels. Typically, our brains are overloaded with sensory input from work, school, TV, social media, road traffic, and other sources. Outdoor spaces like parks have fewer stimuli, giving our brains a break from the usual overload.
- Spending time outside can improve your concentration and focus later. If you have a lot of studying to do or a big task to accomplish, you can increase your focus by spending some time outdoors before you get started. These research studies have even shown improved focus among people with ADHD when they spend time outside.
- People who spend more time outdoors are also more likely to exercise more than people who spend less time outdoors. Simply getting outdoors can increase how much you exercise. Spending a lot of time inside frequently leads to sedentary activities like watching TV or working at a desk. By getting outside, you are more likely to engage in activities that require walking, running, or some form of movement.
Now that you know some of the benefits of spending time outdoors and where to find some great parks in Greenville, go out there and get active!